PENHA looks for new trustees
PENHA Board of Trustees
Trustee Vacancies 2019
The Pastoral and Environmental Network in the Horn of Africa (PENHA) is an African-led and inspired non-governmental organisation, established for 30 years. Its mission is to reduce poverty among the pastoralists in the Horn of Africa through the empowerment of communities and to foster sustainable and dignified livestock-based and non-livestock-based livelihoods. In the UK, it works with the Horn diaspora community through youth mentoring and leadership programmes.
PENHA has a team in the London Office and country chapters in the Horn of Africa region – in Somaliland, Sudan, Uganda, with partners in Ethiopia and Eritrea. It has a UK and Horn Board of Trustees, number of research associates, volunteers and an Advisory Group.
We are looking for trustees to join the London-based Board with experience in one of the following areas:
- A legal background, with financial and risk management experience;
- Knowledge of branding, marketing and fundraising, including the use of social media;
- Knowledge of Charity and employment law in the UK.
In addition, candidates should have an understanding of the context within which NGOs operate, ideally with some experience of the Horn of Africa region.
The post is unpaid and the time commitment is two to three meetings per year, with attendance at other occasional meetings and events as a representative of the charity.
The Board is responsible for submitting the Annual Report and Accounts to the Charity Commission and to Companies House. As a small charity, trustees contribute actively as part of a team in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets. PENHA is currently undergoing a new strategy development process and the candidate will help steer the organisation through the challenges ahead.
In addition, Board members are responsible for:
- Ensuring that the organisation complies with its constitution/memorandum and articles of association, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- Ensuring that the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- Safeguarding the good name and values of the organisation
- Ensuring the effective and efficient administration of the organisation
- Ensuring the financial stability of the organisation
- Protecting and managing the property of the organisation and to ensure the proper investment of the organisation’s funds
- Appointing the senior staff and monitoring their performance
Are you interested in the causes we stand and join PENHA Board of Trustees? Please send your CV and cover letter of to our Company Secretary Bereket Tsegay, email email@example.com
PENHA is a charity registered in England in 1992 with the Charity Commission Registration Number 1038957 and a (non-profit making) Company limited by guarantee, incorporated in England number 2658932. www.penhanetwork.org